Villenke
02 August 2006
  Synch-o-pation
Kate and I just switched mobile phone carriers. We had absolutely no problems with T-mobile and actually did not want to leave. In June I was in CA and we had an overage on our shared minutes. When we signed up we got 400 anytime minutes. It was always more than enough but now that I am having to make more phone calls back to the office while doing these projects with our new product line we have been getting closer to the limit.

Through work I have the opportunity to take advantage of employee discounts through Verizon Wireless. This would give us 300 more minutes per month for $10 more per month. In addition we are able to waive one activation fee and have a reduced one on the second line. Finally, we could get the swell new Razr phones. The biggest advantage though is that nearly everyone at work is also with Verizon so that would mean that we are all IN and therefore there would be no charges for calls I make to other guys at work.

So we did it. We got the Razrs. One thing that I was really looking forward to was that the phones are Bluetooth enabled and my new iMac is also. I figured that instead of punching in the contacts thru my phone I could get them through the Address Book on the Mac. The only issue is that all of my contact info was currently up to date only on gmail. So I had to export it out of gmail, fiddle with the data in a text editor, and then import it into Address Book. This worked fine except that some of the fields did not come into the right spot....work email, was home email and other such things.

After this I made sure that the Bluetooth was on the Mac was turned on. Then I turned on the Bluetooth on the phone. It was detected by the Mac, gave the pass key that the phone was looking for, and then proceeded to put all of the contacts on the Mac into the phone. Just like that. It just worked.

So I continue to be exceedingly happy with the Mac and so far the phone and Verizon are pretty good too.
 
Comments:
FYI: they told me the first line was 10 more, and the second line was another 10. Might want to double check that.
 
I've heard very good things about Verizon. Virtually everyone I know that has it is extremely happy with it. The Razr isn't a bad phone but I'm keeping my eye on the Q... that's a sweet phone :)

I'm glad the Mac is working out for you. One of these days we'll have to sit down and have a chat about its relative merits.
 
Considering my current level of hatred for Sprint maybe I should look into Verizon when our contract is up.
 
On the home technology front everything is going great...except for Kate's crappy VAIO laptop. It behaves funny and the battery lasts about 20min from full charge.

I suppose, kzoojason, we can do that while kayaking or at what should be the Laborpendence Day party.
 
The only thing that almost kept me from getting the RAZR is that Verizons may not be quad-band capable...although that is how Motorola builds them. The V3m may not be.

The Q looks nice but I am more of a phone guy than a PDA/Blackberry guy. I do not want to be that available.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Nothing short of ordinary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan




ARCHIVES
November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger