Villenke
26 November 2006
  Squirrel Net
For a while now Kate and I have heard squirrels in our attic. At least I assumed they were squirrels. I had seen at least one go into the attic through one of the exhaust vents on the roof. While a bit annoying while trying to sleep, I really did not have any real grips about them living there.

But then I was talking with Chip and he mentioned that they could chew through some of my electrical lines in the attic and since I do not want to have to replace any of those I had better take care of this problem.

So yesterday after I ran Charlotte over to the doctor's for a weighing (she now is 4.2kg) I made a quick trip over to Lowe's to pick up a little wire mesh to cover the vents.

After about an hour on the roof and quite a few cuts on my hands I got all three of the vents covered. Hopefully they are well enough covered that those clever squirrels cannot get in again.

The biggest issue is if I happened to trap any squirrels in the attic, but dead squirrels in the attic are better then damaged wiring.

And once I am sure that I no longer have animals in my attic I am planning on blowing another 30cm of insulation up there. Now that we have the baby and the house really should be a bit warmer it would be nice not to lose quite as much heat out of the roof.
 
Comments:
Yay for an increased R-value.
 
The real problem is that if they get really hungry after being trapped in the attic they might decide to eat the wiring :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Nothing short of ordinary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan




ARCHIVES
November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger