Villenke
28 February 2006
  Maybe I'm Screwed
Kate mentioned yesterday that there is a screw in my foot, which I had forgotten about, and maybe that is why the bottom of my foot hurts. I am torn about this. On one hand it explains why my foot hurts and that is reassuring. On the other I do not relish the idea of having them remove the screw. Does that mean that they have to cut me open again? I would think that they would have to cut open something and give at least a local.
The surgeon had said that they could remove the screw in like six months if it was bothering me. I do not like the idea of having to limp around for the next six months.
I guess I will find out Thursday.
 
Comments:
That seems odd to me. Of course, I know nothing about medicine. But it seems to me that the standard practice would be to remove all non-necessary implants as a matter of course. If you need it, of course, it should be left in, but if you don't they should plan to take it out from day one. Anyway, I hope you feel better/get good news from the docs.
 
It's actually fairly common practice to leave things like that in if they don't bother the patient. Opening somebody up causes greater trauma and although there is negligible risk, doctors are loathe to perform procedures which aren't absolutely necessary.

Stryker actually makes a line of resorbable plates/screws which can be used for craniomaxillofacial surgeries. The screws degrade over time and are absorbed by the body... ultimately leaving no implant. Unfortunately there isn't, as far as I know, an equivalent product for foot surgeries.

Good luck, keep us posted on the foot pain and whether you decide to have the screw removed!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Nothing short of ordinary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan




ARCHIVES
November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger