Villenke
17 February 2006
  Cast Off!
Yesterday they removed my splint, I call it that because that is what they called it, and get a look at my foot for the first time. The split is more like a clam shell then an actual cast. It totally protected my big toe but the pinky was not enclosed.

Once the splint was off and they had cut away all of the other badaging and such I got a to see what had been done. It turns out they replaced my foot with Frankenstein's Monster's foot. My big toe, and surrounding area, is swollen like I have a fat person's foot. The girl doing the work said it looked like a pregnant woman's foot, and she should know since she looks like she could have given birth right then. But back to the foot. It is swollen, covered in the yellow goo of surgery, has stiches, and purple marker lines from where they made the cuts. Not a pretty thing to be sure. And to top it all off...Stinky. Yes Virginia, after two weeks of no soap or water a foot is a stinky thing.

So they took some Röntgenbilds of the monster to check and make sure everything is OK. While it still looks like a foot to me the surgeon said that everything looked fine and that we would see her again in two weeks and then the physical therapy.

Neat thing about Röntgenbilds is that you get to see the screw that they installed in you. It looks like they swung by Lowe's on the way and picked up any ol' screw. On the other hand I am one step closer to being a cyborg.

As an interesting note: without the splint and it's confining nature (now I just have a compression bandage) the things seems to hurt more. And it hurts like crazy when I elavate it. That makes no sense at all. I also discovered that when I am experiencing significant throbbing pain I do not cry or scream but laugh...and nearly uncontrollably. Katie says this is wierd. I agree but am not bothered by it.
 
Comments:
Snap! You really burned that nurse-type-person. Glad to hear things are progressing, although the hurting more thing is unfortunate. I hope you recover quickly and are back out there kicking small children and animals sometime soon.
 
I agree with Roland, the hurting thing is unfortunate. At least you can laugh about it. Hysterical crazy laughter, but still...

Stick in there dude, let us know if you need anything.

Oh, on a separate note, did you actually know the German term from x-ray or did you have to look it up? If you knew it off the top of your head I must say I'm impressed. Heck, even if you didn't I'm impressed.
 
Well, the German word for x-ray was in one of my lessons (about going to the dentist) so I did now it. The German word is actually the name of the guy who found x-rays so it is really not that crazy.

Thanks for the support. Things are going better already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_ray
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Nothing short of ordinary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan




ARCHIVES
November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger