Villenke
08 January 2006
  Speed Bumps
This is something that I intended to blog quite a while ago but kept forgetting.

My city thought it necessary to install speed bumps, or as the signs say "SPEED HUMP", on what was my route to work. I would not really mind if speed bumps simply reduced the speed of the car to the posted limit, but most times it requires you to slow down to something like 5MPH. In effect they have added an additional stop sign at each speed bump. As we know cars efficiencies are highest when they have to start and stop often, so with gas prices at their current level it is so progressive of the city to make us use more gas.

Thanks Grand Rapids.
 
Comments:
I've been ranting about this lately, too. Speed bumps on public streets? How moronic. They just launch over the things. I hate having them in parking lots, but at least that's private property.
 
I expected some comment on the "SPEED HUMP". As juvenile as it may be I cannot help but think of the sexual implication of HUMP. And the idea of a speed hump, and the resulting visual imagery, is quite humorous.

I also agree with your public/private idea. We already have more potholes per square mile than anyone else here in MI why must we now also have bumps. Cars have no chance of lasting in this car unfriendly state.
 
Speed humps are terrible! They installed them in the public school driveway that I use as a shortcut. I understand that they were installed specifically to keep people like me from zooming through but do they really need to be so freakin' big that they make the whole car lurch when travelling so slow that my speedometer doesn't register? Argggg!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Nothing short of ordinary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan




ARCHIVES
November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger