Villenke
09 November 2005
  Basement Woes
My wife and I decided to finish our basement this year. Our house was built in 1949 so there are many things about this basement that are non-ideal for finishing. We have many conduit pipes below the joists, we have duct work that is in the way, we have a shower clean-out that is very much below the joists...I could go on. But we went ahead anyway. I framed in the new walls myself and then ran all of the electrical. It was a fine project.

Before we started I drew up an bunch of different layouts in Visio just to get an idea of how it would go. BTW Visio was much easier than trying to do it in CAD. All of the premade shapes were there and the editing was much simplier. So I had put a bunch of furniture and such in these new rooms partly to fill the rooms to give an idea of how much space would be in them and partly as I envisioned them being when we were done.

Now the have the drywall up and painted, the doors hung, and the carpet installed. So what happens. She says that the furniture I placed in the rooms on the drawings were simply for effect and she wants it completely different.

I set up one of the new rooms to be something of a home theater room. The TV and the speakers all positioned so that the effect is optimal. This does not jive with how she sees this room as a place for having a bunch of people over. She wants the TV in the corner and the speakers non equadistant. Sure, the home is the "woman's" place but I suppose I was naive to think that one room could be the way that I want.
 
Comments:
I make it my practice not to comment on, or get involved in, intermarital disputes - even my own. And I know nothing about the initial layout and the 'revised' layout. I will say that I tend to agree with Frank Lloyd Wright when it comes to this stuff. A home is build for its residents, not for its guests. If you are going to to use it sans guests with any frequency, then the form should reflect that function. That's just my 2 cents.
 
I just miss having a house at all. Home theater room, sounds cook to me though. I like Ryan and Laura's, especially the crazy theater lighting. Sweet! (Does that come with pre-buttered popcorn?
 
The worst part is that we have to cut our TV in half. It will not fit down the stairs. So I am going to cut the bottom from the top with a jig saw and then reattach it with a biscuit joiner.

Roland, I agree with you and Mr. Wright, but sometimes marraige requires a degree of compromise.
 
Indeed.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Nothing short of ordinary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan




ARCHIVES
November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger